Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > What happened ? $1500 brick now ?
What happened ? $1500 brick now ?

4874 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: 2017-04-13 03:50:32

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-07-28 00:34:37
     My ds708 isn't working. 
    It sometimes shows usb failure4
    But it has also has shown "the serial number of ds708 recorded in sd card is not match with ds708. The diagnostics is not available.  

My updates have expired, but it show still be working, otherwise I just have a $1500 brick. 
    I should not have to pay $700 or whatever to get updates, only to find out that it still won't work. 
    I had planned on not getting updates till 2017. We usually only update the seven different scanners on a two year rotation basis. 
    My serial # DS022Q007999

What can be done to solve this situation ? I have just gotten the latest version of your Autel for our shop. Having talked my boss into getting it after telling him how much I love my older version. But now he is wondering if he should of gotten it. 

Somebody solve this please !

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-07-28 06:31:14 (Reply to:lfdorries)

When I bought my DS 708 , before I set it up and registered it , I went out and bought a new 16GB Class 3 SD card. I copied and pasted the 4gb card  contents to a folder on my PC and then copied and pasted the folder contents to the new 16GB card, then I registered the tool and updated the 16GB card contents through the PC Suite on my PC one make at a time. About a month before my update period expired. I bought another 16GB class 4 card , then I created a folder on my PC and copied and pasted all the older 16GB class 3 to the PC folder then copied and pasted the PC folder contents to the 16gb class 4 card that I presently use in my working DS 708. I have the original 4 GB card and the 16gb cards as backup software. It's not all that hard to make back up software for a DS708 while it's still within the update period.
       A new DS 708 is presently about $850

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-07-28 22:15:58
      I wish I had thought of that. When I ran out of space on the small sd card I bought a 8gb one. 
    I just want my tool to work , I don't need updates. We have a brand new one for that. 

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-07-29 15:21:35
     I am so amazed at how fast I have gotten a response form this tech site............But of course, I doubt I will like what ever they have to say...Pay up...To get it working. I would be willing to send it in for repairs if I had a idea what it would cost me...

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-07-30 02:31:32 (Reply to:lfdorries)

If you find that original smaller  4gb card that  the DS 708 , if it wasn't formatted and used for something else , it should still function fine as back up software  with the older software versions  . 

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-08-02 14:46:38
     Found a old backup. Put it on the card and now it works. I just lost a WHOLE YEAR of updates.
    It must of been before the LAWSUIT ! Because I have all of the actual vehicle logos !

If I could figure out which file is bad I would copy it over to the updated version and try it.
    Even better where the logos are located. Copy them and transfer them...
    Want to buy copies of the actual vehicle logos ?  Just kidding...

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-08-02 17:07:55 (Reply to:lfdorries)

Awesome, I will just keep my  DS 708 as is with the old software version, and when I absolutely have to get newer vehicle coverage , I will upgrade and buy Maxi Sys only if I am able to  backup  Maxi Sys scan folder software and know that all transfers , and the backup made in your free update will work and I will still  have authorization to access the scan folder  diagnostic software again with out having to buy another update. PLEASE SUPPORT WILL YOU PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION ?!!! IT IS NOT THAT F@CKING  HARD !!!

HEY  SUPPORT , I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION ABOUT SCAN FOLDER BACK UPS MULTIPLE TIMES,  REFUSING TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION IS BASICALLY ADMISSION  THAT A MAXI SYS SCAN FOLDER BACKUP IS FUTILE AND NOT GOING TO WORK TO RESTORE THE FULL SCANNER OPERATION OF A MAXISYS  LATER ON AFTER THE SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD IS OVER,  BECAUSE  SOME SMALL PROTECTED FILE NEEDED TO GIVE YOU AUTHORIZATION TO USE THE DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE WON'T BE THERE IN THE COPIED SCAN FOLDER . BACK UP SOFTWARE REINSTALLED WILL LIKELY FAIL TO WORK  UNTIL THE SCANNER CONFIRMS YOU HAVE A CURRENT UPDATE SUBSCRIPTION TO REINSTALL THAT MISSING FILE THAT NEVER WILL TRANSFER TO A SCAN FOLDER COPY.

Anyone after free update period who had their  Maxi Sys software become corrupted and scanner quit working after update period , and they  got the scanner up and fully functional again with a scan folder back up they made (while still within update period) I really need to know if it worked  without bending over for another update, Thank you.

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-08-02 17:50:48
     So far my backup is working okay.. I really like having the Dealer logos again.

Wish they would tell me how to get the year of update on to the card (without the logo change) so I will not be missing the whole year !

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries
    2016-08-02 18:42:25
    Found the logos even on the updates. Will tell you had to get all of your original logos back if it works...

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2016-08-02 20:02:23 (Reply to:lfdorries)

Happy for you that your backup  card software  working on your DS 708. That is the beauty of the old DS708. I  know that the DS 708 backup SD cards do work after expiration , because both  the  System and the software are on the SD cards
      The Maxi Sys System,however   I don't  believe gets  backed up to the  Maxi Sys Scan folder  if  you copy the entire Scan folder for a back up. If the Maxi Sys  system  becomes corrupted I think you are just Sh@t out of luck if you are past free update period, unless corrupt software is  limited to only one make of car software
  Total2 Pages